I am so excited to add a kids section to this blog! As a a parent myself, I have always wanted to instill in my children that reading the book is the step that comes before seeing the movie. I have always loved movies and loved reading but struggled to find what to read next, which is where this blog got started. I want other kids to be a fan of reading as well and books that get turned into movies are a great way to encourage long term and ongoing reading, even into their adult years. Here are some startling statistics:
• One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
• 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.
• 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.
• 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
• 57 percent of new books are not read to completion.
Considering that reading has been shown to help ward off symptoms of Alzheimer’s and keep the brain sharp, why wouldn’t we want to promote early reading habits in our children? I hope that this blog helps parents as a guide to find some good books to start their kids off with, no matter what their age of reading level!
I will be posting my first list for kids soon! If you want updates on my posts, be sure to subscribe on the right to ge hem straight to your email!